ADVENSHARE 12: PAMELA TAN

Introducing the ADVENSHARE series. Intimate dialogue sessions to cultivate a culture of creative conversations. Discussions revolve around topics of design, travel, photography and youth activism. In collaboration with Locco.My with support from Canon Malaysia. 



ADVENSHARE SESSION 12 
PAMELA TAN
Architectural Designer, PohSin Studio


A video of this session is available here (link) and is embedded at the end of this post

An architectural graduate, winner of PAM-Tan Sri Ar Chan Sau Lai Award 2016, Pamela Tan has pushed through the barriers of traditional architectural careers to forge a path as a designer. She is currently listed as one of the 40 under 40 Prestige List. 


I met you when we were both studying architecture at Greenwich...


We did yes! So I’m Pamela Tan. I’m an architectural designer. I do various ranges of design. I like to do that because it sort of informs your processes and practices. Currently, this is what I juggle with. It could be product design, to spatial design. Sometimes you see me doing earrings, sometimes public art installation. So it depends what comes in. I've been doing this for two years. 


I think a lot of people might be confused with all of these disciplines. You graduated architecture, so naturally people would think that you go straight to an architecture firm,  for about 2-3 years, then you go for an AR exam. So what was your journey after you graduated?


We studied in UK, and we were exposed to the thinking systems and to various disciplines, like literature, art, and all that. Also when you look at the architect practices there - they do various things like bridges, lights, chandeliers, carpet design. So that gave me an idea. I didn’t know that we could tackle in that area. In architecture, it’s more on how we are experiencing the space. But then you look at product design, you’re wearing the object. So you look at different disciplines. 


After looking at how all these people are able to do it, and be celebrate, and how architecture is very infinite - I questioned myself - what is it that I want to experiment the most? So I kept trying, experimenting here and there.


Even after coming back to Malaysia? 


When I came back to Malaysia, the first project I received was very interesting. It was called footprints by Nike. It was by chance, they were looking for someone to make a model. It was a mixture of architecture and sneaker, to celebrate Air Max Day. Apparently the shoe designer was inspired by Centrer Pompidou designed by Richard Rogers and Renzo Piano. They're both radical icons during their time. So they wanted me to design a half shoe half building model. But I proposed to them by asking - well what if its not as literal? What if it’s more to embrace the element with a reflection of the shoe design. 




Mappa Mundi Model



Bandar Arkib Taksonomi (Taxonomy Archive city)


Footprints: AirMax Model for Nike 


And after that, you worked at an architectural studio for a while, before deciding to branch out on your own.. 


I realised I still want to do projects. I decided to give it a go. To do these series of works full time. 


People normally think that once you study architecture, it's really just about buidlings. But architecture really introducces you to a lot of concepts and mediums. In the field of arts, not just architecture, a lot of practice overlaps. You draw inspiratoin from so many things - film, journalism, fashion, graphic, fine art. So for people who are experimenting beyond the common perception of architecture, is really something that will inspire people out there.


What gave you the confidence to just stop and start? 


I felt that working in a firm wasn’t utilising my fullest potential. It was streessful, it was affecting my health. When I started doing the little things on my own... financially I know it’s going to be a rough journey but that wasn’t my main priority. My priority was to just to try and do it. Try because you're curious. And at the back of my mind - it’s okay if I failed because I’m below 30. Even if i failed or did badly, all I have to do is go back to the full time job. 


I started small series of works. Like vases and earring designs. I rented a booth in publika and tried to sell some of the accessories. It was a way to see how it works, network in the industry, how people react to the design. Towards the end of 2018, that’s where I received this huge opportunity to do a large scale installation in Mont Kiara. 




Eden Project


Dome of Disappearance 

The Eden Project! 


It was the Eden Project. The client just wanted me to reflect the mall’s concept of green. It has to be instagrammable. But I explained to them the function of a public art installation, how it communicates to the public. I introduced the Eden idea and how it is my translation of nature in a different level. 


The client held back a bit first because they said this kind of work can onlybe done overseas. People might not be receptive enough. And they were not confident enough that I could pull of that craftmanship level. I had to do a lot of convincing and prototyping. That was the break out point. From here,  you (I) set an example to a lot of other potential clients. 


And ever since Eden you’ve worked for Good Vibes,  and the Kuala Lumpur Design Festival. A lot of people out there don’t realise that reality of art, that it requires a lot of business acumen, like networking, marketing. Because you cannot just be at home creating your beautiful sculptures and be leaving them. 


You have to really put it out there so people understand what you do. Other than social media, the media circulates your work. What I emphasise to the client is the narrative and the concept. How does the visitor experience it, and what are the design elements translated from. They're not used to receiving this kind of valued, research content. So you add more depth to it, and tie it to their value. 


How does the process work from inception to project end? 


So clients would come to me with a brief, with their themes and the dates. They’d refer to my past projects. then I’ll come in and ask them about their story, their content, the meaning, budget, deadline. In terms of research breakdown, I look at the subject. Say for the project I did for oppo, I emphasised on photography. I looked at how cameras were invented - by the guy who measured perspective. In the Renaissance era, you have to paint the most perfect picture, that’s how it evolved into camera obscura. And that's how the project came about. 


So does the research take a lot of time? 


Well it depends on your subject and the timeline given. You gather info, curate, break it down. Ask, how do you spatially immerse yourself in these things? It gives you clues and ingredients on the materials and structure. Sometimes I work with fabricators, sometimes I learned how to collaborate. Like how I collaborated with a weave artist. Collaborating is quite important part of it. 


In a scene where every artist is working to get their work out there, how do you put your own voice towards what you do? 


I never thought of standing out, because I feel like it’s a trap. For me I’ve always had a deep curiosity to do this work and make it work. I start doing it, and it so happens that there are people who find it interesting. Be consistent, focus on your work and don’t care what people think. Don’t focus on how to be famous, or how to make your work stand out, or have your voice. Basically the way you curate the outcome of your research already reflects you. There can’t be anyone who does the same thing. No matter what, everyone is different. Everyone has their own way of interpreting things. It’s just how interesting is your thinking process. 


It comes down to being true to yourself then? And balancing that with the ecosystem. A lot of people are concerned with getting their word out, or getting viral.


I've met some artist who’ve reached that level. And they just say to keep going. 






Projection 


What are the some realities of the art world that you didn’t expect or realise going in? 


I didn’t realise how it’s infinite. It’s very maleable to many areas. You can actually mix both. One thing that struck me from my academic tutor is that, don’t just take it as another certificate. This could be your career. How their research actually continues and how they practice it. 


What would you tell anyone who’se interested to go out there and start their own art thing? Especially since you're currently working locally, and undeniably there is a couple of parameters to the scene here. 


It’s important to put your work out there. Find opportunities to collaborate with your friends. For example my friends like to do art, and weaving. You have to reach out and see how it can go hand in hand, cohesive with your work. Work with clients who are in line with your values. Maybe in early days you have to do the hard work - reach out to them and propose what you can potentially do. And then, be consistent. The most important thing is being very sincere and genuine with your design and content. 



You can keep in touch with Pamela here:

Website: Pamela Tan

Instagram: Pohsin Studio










0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

TUMBLR

Instagram

Twitter