ADVENSHARE 13: ANNATASHA

Introducing the ADVENSHARE series. Intimate dialogue sessions to cultivate a culture of creative conversations. Discussions revolve around topics of design, travel, photography and youth activism. In collaboration with Locco.My and Canon Malaysia. 


ADVENSHARE SESSION 13 
ANNATASHA SAIFOL
Photographer, Sound Engineer 

A video of this session is available here (link) and is embedded at the end of this post

A graduate of Berklee College of Music, Annatasha spreads her creative wings through multiple forms of art including music, culinary and photography. 


So photography, culinary and music.. That's so many influences! How did you get into professional photography?


I considered myself a professional once I started getting paid. I did go for a workshop with one of my all-time favourite photographer, Lara Jade. She used to be on DevianArt as Lara Fairy, and at the tender age of 26 she was already shooting for Vogue Italia and all that. After learning from her and getting the skills to do studio lighting, I could actually branch out and take professional photos for catalogues or blog shops. I was 18. I needed some extra pocket money for gas. It was a very small business at the time.


It’s funny that you say that because most people go into photography and spend a lot of money.. 


It is a huge investment, but it worked out for the best. I wanted to find pocket money doing something that I really loved. I wanted to do something more artistic and creative, instead of working part time at a mall or whatever. I also sold baking goods at the time. 


So when did music come into the whole mix? 


Actually,  music came in first. I started playing piano at the age of 7, then guitar at 12. But you know, people are like, can you make a living from this? So at the start I did something that was a bit more stable (culinary). And after that, I said now, I’m going to go to a music school. If anything, I can just fall back and work in a restaurant. At Berklee I did sound engineering, it’s more behind the scenes.


Sound engineers are the unsung pop stars of the world. Everything that you hear has been touched by a sound engineer. Producer are more creatives. They're like the photographers, and we are the retouchers. As a sound engineer, we pretty things up. It’s not the glam part of music la! 


Perhaps that’s a misconception about the art industry. People think you have to be glam to succeed. As in, if you’re not getting well-known, or viral with your art, you’re not making it.


My satisfaction is knowing that I made something look or sound good.


And I suppose satisfaction also comes from the collaboration and teamwork that goes into making work that you’re proud of..


Yes, and even technical people are creative as well! 







After having studied both overseas and locally, what are the differences you have experienced in terms of approaches and mindsets?


It’s funny because they’re both very different. I won’t say one is better than the other. In America, your challenge is that you have no boundaries, so you don’t know where to start. In Malaysia, you have a lot of boundaries. So where can you fit in your creative work without limiting your expression?


Over here there’s definitely a lot more culture. We have a great history. Such as incorporating batik or traditional wear into our art. Or embracing people of all different shapes and sizes - it's about diversity. 


There really is a sort of renaissance amongst the younger millenial crowd, to capture all this heritage and culture and making it our own. 


What are some of the biggest challenges of studying at Berklee? I know some people think it’s the dream but when you’re there reality can be different. 


A lot of people go there thinking "I made it to Berklee, I’ve already made it". But no, the journey only just begins there. The challenge also is to make other peopleunderstand that you’re there to learn and not to compete. Because the competition is crazy. Especially if you’re in the performance major, everybody is trying to be the next big thing. It’s hard on your self esteem a lot of the time. You realise that you could do better and allowing yourself the space to grow. 

People have their expectations of you but as long as you know to be a better part of yourself, you’re already doing progress.


I agree so much. In the creative industry, there’s a bit of toxicity in terms of competition, mental health. A lot of people get really insecure about their art and product because it’s not up to par. 


It’s not to par to other people's standards, which isn’t fair!


From these 3 super different fields, how has this informed your creative process? I’m sure the thinking behind all cooking, music, photography is all very different. 


I get where you’re coming from but my end goal from all these creative pursuits is to make people happy. So it’s pretty easy to not lose track if you know what your main intention is. I mean food makes people happy. With photography, most of my clients are normal women who just want to look magazine-ready. So it’s about building your confidence as well. 


With photography it’s mostly product, editorial, fashion, and portraiture. Video was a big part this year because I got to travel and record tours. 








Your photography is quite niche because you do boudoir shoots. That’s not something that gets discussed in mass context. It’s women being beautiful


And embracing their sexuality as a human being. I actually got exposed to it in America. When my friends did boudoir photography for other people, and even myself (because I wanted to try it out) it’s so liberating. And the girls feel so powerful when they’re done with it. It’s in the privacy of our own space, so nobody has to see them if they don’t want to. It’s conducted in a very safe environment. I have my own studio, and I like to make sure that my clients can feel comfortable and safe, and that they can feel completely vulnerable. So then I can really capture the essence of who they really are. 


I know you value safety and mental health, because you and another good friend of ours, Sharina, started Safe Space Malaysia. So tell us about that


We started this group and we host events, retreats, and seminars for women (and we’ve slowly started incorporating men), to provide them a safe space to be expressive and be themselves. The main thing is a retreat that happens once a year, a two-night stay inclusive of workshop such as embroideries, painting, and fitness too. We have kareoke nights, it's like a sleepover. 


A lot of people come alone. We had one come from Terengganu, Kuantan, Melaka. Some people come with friends but I encourage people to come alone because it’s so easier to share. There’s no judgement.  

Open to anyone above 18. It’s a bungalow house and it’s super secure and secluded. 


In this sharing circle what are the topics that you touch


We leave it open. So if anyone has anything they want to get off their chest, they’re allowed to. Previously I did safe space tea parties at home. That’s where I dive into talking about mental health. We talk about substance abuse, domestic abuse, anything people are too scared to talk about with anyone.


A lot of the time it’s quite a shame because they are afraid to admit to their parents that they’ve made a mistake. So at least they have us. We are not certified but to give advice, but we advise them for who to turn to. Who to go to, who to seek mental counselling from, for legal stuff, or NGOs that do it for free. 


So to wrap this up - what tips do you have for anybody out there who wants to get more inspired?


The thing that has led all of us into the creative field is being curious. So my number one advice for anyone looking to start is, ask a question. Ask a question to anyone who is leading the life that you want to lead. You are always learning, even when you are at the top of the top, you are still learning new things. 


Keep sharing, keep going.


Keep asking as you go.  



You can keep in touch with Annatasha here:

Instagram: Annatasha

Twitter: Annatasha

Youtube: Annatasha







1 comments:

  1. Amazing Blog Post. The photography is awesome btw. The Hussle free parking services long stay parking Luton

    ReplyDelete

 

TUMBLR

Instagram

Twitter