ADVENSHARE 10: KYOPROPAGANDA

Introducing the ADVENSHARE series. Intimate dialogue sessions to cultivate a culture of creative conversations. Discussions revolve around topics of design, travel, photography and youth activism. In collaboration with Locco.My with support from Canon Malaysia. 




ADVENSHARE SESSION 10 
KYO PROPAGANDA
Creative Director, Pishang Creative 


A video of this session is available here (link) and is embedded at the end of this post

One of Malaysia's most prominent youtuber and Creative Director at Pishang Creative, winner of the 2018 Excellence in Viral Marketing and Social Media Marketing for the Marketing Excellence Awards. Kyo Propaganda shares his visions, work ethics and creative process through his highly celebrated social media channels. 


First things first, tell us about yourself, and why "Kyo Propaganda"?


My real name is Mohammad Nabil Ifwad. Kyo is a nickname from my studies, as Nabil is a common name. 


I’m from Jitra, Kedah. Now I live in Kajang. I’m working as a Creative Director of my own Creative Agency, Pishang Creative. I create my own youtube content, as well for clients. The term Pishang is also relative to Pisang (banana). Because a banana tree, you can plant it anywhere and it can grow. 


I studied graphic design in UiTM Melaka, where I took advertising as a subject, which I loved. Then I continued my degree in Film Studies. I majored in Directing, and my business partner studied Cinematography. So Pishang Creative is our collaboration. 


So was this interest from an early age?


It began slowly. My brother did graphic design. He did a video that was just miming a song. As a school kid, I saw that video and was inspired. I took a digital camera, started recording stuff, edited the footage using Movie Maker. This was back in 2005. 


That’s quite early. From what I know, you were one of the first youtubers in Malaysia. When did the Youtube part come in, was it during your degree?


Yes, during the final year of degree I started to make business through youtube. But it was different from others, who made money through monetization. For me, I started creating content for brands. After graduating, I just continued. 





There’s a society conception about youtube that you create silly content just to get viral. You can even go as far as to say that one is lowering their IQ to do this kind of videos. What are your thoughts on this? 


Comedy is subjective. During my younger days, I did do some silly videos. Now, each person has their own style of comedy. There are those who do slapstick, screaming, or pulling faces. For me, I prefer the standup comedy community. Because they do it through script and intonation. 


Everyone has their own style. The thing about comedy is that there’s actually a lot of thought that goes behind it. A lot of planning, skill, timing, execution. How long does it take for you to plan a video?


Depends. Sometimes a week, sometimes a month. Sometimes you get an idea, and you shoot straight away. For comedy, my team and I will discuss it. Is this funny? Or is it just syiok sendiri? 


So how do you know if the jokes is going to land?


I bounce ideas with my team. 





As someone who works in the media and marketing industry, what are your thoughts on the term infuencer? For yourself, you’re a youtuber, a content creator. But there are those out there who label themselves as an influencer (only). 


You have to ask yourself (on the content), are you doing it for money, for yourself, or to explore an artform. It’s based on your creativity. Sometimes you might see influencers on instagram with 500k followers, but they post simple selfies. But you have to understand their audience. If it’s relevant to their followers. But if your followers is small, but are very interested in your content, that’s good too.


For myself, when I go to clients to pitch, I don’t sell myself as an influencer. I go in as a creative content director. I don’t know how to influence people. 


I feel for aspiring content creators, you might have to get away from the term influencer. it’s such a broad term, and it’s hard to define your niche. You have to define yourself as a person. Your skill set. What can you offer brands beyond your follower reach. Use social media as a tool. Who are you as a person. 


What’s the hardest part about being a content creator?


For me, it’s the balance between your own creative ideas, what your audience likes, and what your clients want. Because brands have certain requirements, but you have your own style. Sometimes, a brand might want a certain music, but you feel it’s not suitable. So how you balance that is a challenge. 


So how do you balance it?


I try my best to communicate and try to understand from their side. If you want to be a good content creator, is when you become your own brand. Previously I had my own business brand that sold sportswear. So from that experience I understood that brands want certain things. They are the ones who are giving the money, and they also know their audience. 




It’s interesting to see content creation approached from a business perspective. How to communicate, plan, strategise. It takes time and experience, and you have to do it practically. 


You cannot follow your own head too much. If you love experimenting, it’s better off to do content for yourself than for clients. If you’re working with brands, you have to understand brands and their business.


Creating content must take up a lot of mental power. How do you manage your mental health with all the workload? 


Personally, I try to pray 5 times a day. I talk to old folks at the mosque and they’re very happy. They act like kids. From there I find peace. That’s where I release my stress. 


I also have friends who contribute ideas even when I don’t ask for it. One of them is Hasan Zulkilfli. He is very open to sharing. He taught me a lot about looking for references. 


Sometimes, I do parkour, sports, or find activities where I can learn. Get into other activities to find inspiration.


Do you have any tips for any aspiring content creators?


Don’t chase the views too much. Create content that makes you happy. The views will come slowly. You have to know the technique and how to target the audience. Don’t just do something for the money. I try to practice the idea that rezeki comes from God. That money doesn’t come from clients, or my boss, or anyone. So just create what you want, be it about cars, or weddings. The returns will come. Don’t quit. Give yourself two years before you quit anything.  Borrow equipment if you need to. Don’t be shy to ask for help. 


If you adore someone’s artwork, ask them to be your mentor. 


You can keep in touch with Kyo here:
Instagram: Kyo Propaganda
Youtube: Kyo Propaganda
Facebook: Kyo Propaganda





1 comments:

 

TUMBLR

Instagram

Twitter