Canon EYA: Macro

This is part of my written entries about the Canon EOS Youth Ambassador 2017 programme. To read more from this please click on the 'CANON EYA' tag on the left bar of this website :) To be updated on the next batch for this programme, please follow the Canon official instagram and facebook page.



GUYS. This was honestly my FAVOURITE Canon workshop. It was something completely out of the left field for me and I don't think I was more excited than when I was doing my best to take a photo of this 1cm spider as it scuttled about the desk. Don't get me wrong, like all pretty chill, normal people, I didn't think too much about macro photography ('oh ok, tiny things, cool'). But boy have I been missing out. Our Macro Photography workshop was headed by Mr Andy Lim, and right from the get go I was BLOWN AWAY by how amazingly cool it is!

I didn't even take that much notes during the session, as I was just observing how Mr Andy made demonstrations with various objects. There are so many equipments that aid Macro photography: the lens, options to use extension tubes, twin lite systems, flash bounce reflectors, and diffusers to ensure lighting is balanced and bounced on the small subjects. The lighting and focusing here is a serious issue, as you need to really ensure that all the details are visible.

Mr Andy also emphasised on the importance of our cropping and composition. For macro photography, people normally opt for tight crops to maximise the subject.

That class, we were divided into groups and tasked to take photos of a flower, a spider and a miscellaneous object. I was teamed up with Barathan, Suzan, Zubear, Daniel and Ryan. We took turns using the various lenses and cameras to shoot our subjects. Let me tell you that it isn't easy to focus on something that is intent on moving about. You just have to find the few seconds of calm while the animal pauses and quickly press the shutter.

Photographers like to joke that macro photography saves you money as the models are completely free hahaha. And shooting isn't an issue as you can just go to any location and start snapping. They have an association of macro photography hobbyists who go out on trips to take photos (Mr Andy showed us videos and it looks hilarious - everyone was with their diffusers looking into bushes) Most of these photographers are hobbyists, although some do sell their works as stock images.

Here are some of our works below. Given time and proper equipment I'd love getting to this as it was quite therapeutic and interesting. The session itself was one of the most enjoyable as we really had to exercise our creativity and control of the situation! Thank you Mr Andy Lim! He is a Macro Photographer and you can find his works here: Andy Lim

A snap from my instastory during the session: you can view snippets of my Canon courses on my Instagram highlights! @acaciadiana




Ahh!!! I can't get over how cute this spider is!! 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

TUMBLR

Instagram

Twitter