SAFETY: TRAVEL TIPS

How do you travel as a solo woman??

If I had a pound for every time I was asked this question, I'd be able to travel to Peru by now T_T I get that it's a major concern for anyone wishing to step out of their comfort zone into the off kilter world of tripping. To be honest, it took me a while before I ventured out completely alone. I'd always taken off from Malaysia, then meet or stay with some local friends at the country of my visit (this is actually one of the very good tips).







The first time I ever did a solo trip was to Barcelona in November 2015. It was my earliest adventure in the country, I didn't speak the language, and I didn't know anyone at all - but I was pretty confident about taking care of myself at that point (I'd been travelling a lot in the past 2 years then). Plus, I had internet roaming so I could access information at the tip of my fingers! Despite being notorious for its pickpockets and scam, I was very lucky to be able to wander around Barcelona without any hiccups. I know other people who weren't so lucky.

The best part about going alone is that you're entirely in control of your agenda, and you get the space to be and do whatever you want. The other side to this is that it can get pretty lonely, and of course there's no one else watching your back for your safety. It all depends on the kind of trips that you want to do. Personally, I prefer to travel with a regular number of 2-3 people on a trip. It gives enough room to be flexible with activities while also sharing the experience with good company :)

Earlier this month Management and Science University (MSU) invited me over to participate as a part of panel on travel and safety. The event was organized by the Faculty of Tourism and Hospitality and was called Trip or Trick (100 points to whoever gave this title haha!) The panel included Korean Air marketing manager Nikk Adam, Prudential Assurance wealth planner Mr Wan Nor Hisham, and myself. It was my first experience talking to a whole auditorium of people! I'm not the shy sort and I rarely get stage fright (years of participating in the debate team and doing theatre, thankfully!), so my main concern was that I wouldn't say anything stupid accidentally haha.

Here's some of the main outtakes from the sharing session on travelling safely...

1. Get travel insurance

I know we regularly take light of this. But having gone on a couple of trips with my architecture studio, they have made it a strict practice for all students to have it. You can get some insurance for really cheap! In UK the cheapest I've ever paid was for £5. It's just an easier way to avoid any additional complications in case anything bad happens while you're overseas, especially if you have any health concerns.

2. Research regular scams

I had a guy friend who was on a solo trip in Turkey, made a new pal, who brought him to a restaurant 'to chill out', ganged up on him, and forced him to take out money from an ATM. Thank god he didn't get hurt! Some cities are well known for their 'friendly' locals who would take you out then swindle your money. Some areas are hotspots for pickpockets. Some bars and restaurants are frequented by thieves. Please, please research on the city that you're going to and take note of the hotspots and typical scams.

3. Photocopy ALL important documents! 

Your flight tickets, your passport, your IC, your hotel itineraries, any additional tickets that you've bought online, even maps. Find out where your country's embassy is, or if there's any. Have a plastic folder in your carry on bag for all these things, and leave them safely in your room. This is just an additional step that would help a lot in case you can't get connected!

4. Check in / Tell someone

A friend, a partner, your family ... just make sure somebody knows where you are, where you're going, where you're staying, and how to reach you. Make sure your hostel/host/hotel knows your emergency contacts. Write down the address of your hotel on a piece of paper and slip it into your sock/pants.

5. Plan your itinerary

I'm generally the type to YOLO(!) on my travels, because I like random, unplanned excursions. But it's super useful to have a list to guide your routes and daily plans. This is especially true if you are a solo traveller. Make sure you buy scheduled train tickets in advance (as to not get stranded last minute!), pay online for the attraction entrance fees if you can (just to avoid taking out your wallet all the time), and save the addresses and contact numbers of the points you'd be visiting. Try to get to know your area as well as you can before the trip :)

6. Make A Friend 

On my Tokyo trip, because of our budget, my best friend and I searched far and wide for anyone we knew who resided in Tokyo. We ended up staying at the house of a friend of a friend of a friend and only contacted each other on Facebook before the trip! In Egypt, I met up with a Malaysian student I knew on Twitter, who helped me find an accommodation in the female dorms. I stayed with my cousin in Ireland. I couch surfed in Austria. The bottom line is, if you know a local personally, it is so much more helpful.

7. Body Purse 

If you're constantly on the go, buy a small body pouch to keep under your clothes where you can keep your passport and emergency money. If you've changed a lot of cash, segregate them: keep some in your bag, in your hoodie pockets, in your socks, in your wallet, in your hair... you get the idea :D

8. Get Connected

If your trip is 5 days or more, get a local sim card or a portable wifi.

9. Spend extra on safety

Sometimes, budget hostels don't have the best security. Sometimes, taking a cab to your accommodation if you've arrived late at night is better than walking alone in a foreign place. Sometimes spending money on a quality lock is better than a cheap one. Sometimes renting a place nearer to the high streets and public areas is safer than outskirts if you're going back late. Take a moment to effectively consider your plans :)


My thinking frown is intense hahaha. 

It was a pretty good turnout! I really hoped we didn't make it boring.  



That's about it! I hope it's somewhat helpful! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

TUMBLR

Instagram

Twitter