Thaipusam 2019

Thaipusam 2019. 
6am - 12pm, Batu Caves, Gombak, 21st January 2019. 
Canon 5DMIV. 








Taking a break. 







Ending this series with my favourite shot :) 


There was always an idea to go to Batu Caves during Thaipusam to photograph the celebrations. But after a busy and fun filled weekend, I wasn't sure if I was up for the heat, crowds, the general festive chaos, and waking up at 4am to drive all the way to Gombak from Shah Alam. But my friends from Canon - Cliff, Bara and Sam - had mentioned they were going to be there, and knowing that I wasn't going to be alone, I decided to go for it.  

I got to use Bara's 5DMIV and his 17-40mm and 70-200mm lens throughout the whole day and managed to immerse myself into the whole incredible scene. I started the day off on the bridge to capture the earlier wave of worshippers entering the gates to the temple, then went all the way on the 272 steps to the famous caves, before making my way across the bridge and down to the river where people prepare and bathe before their prayers. There were so many people, the noise was loud and towards the afternoon the heat was turning me into a human popsicle but it was an amazing experience. The first couple of hours I went about my day by myself, before meeting up with the boys. 

Despite the crazy circumstances and crowds, one of my favourite parts of the day was how people were friendly and generous with their smiles. Some were even ready to pause and pose if I requested a photograph. There were moments where I would catch a stranger's eye in the crowd and they would politely nod at me. At one point, during the lull, I simply paused on the steps and observed the ongoings-  how the worshippers carried their humongous effigies, how the elderly climbed up with the cases on milk on their heads, young men bringing up offerings on a bamboo, and others with fruits pierced onto their body parts. It was complete determination, surrounded by their supporters, and I have so much respect and admiration for them all. 

Entered the day with zero expectations and left with such a deeper appreciation for the diversity of my home country. As cliched as it sounds, I'm so glad we're able to witness the colourful cultures of our home, right at our doorstep. And above all, have the opportunity to understand, respect and love each other more. 


Had a really fun time with these bunch! Thanks guys ^^ 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

TUMBLR

Instagram

Twitter