ADVENSHARE 03: HANNAH

Introducing the ADVENSHARE series. Intimate dialogue sessions to cultivate a culture of creative conversations. Discussions revolve around topics of design, travel, photography and youth activism. Initiated as part of the Canon EOS Youth Ambassador Programme with support from Perbadanan Perpustakaan Awam Selangor.


ADVENSHARE SESSION 03 
Hannah On Earth
Traveler & Author: I'm a Backpacker Journal; USA



Hannah is an avid traveler, and has lived a nomadic life ever since she was young. To date she has travelled to all 50 states in America and has authored a book detailing her journey. A graduate of software engineering, she has worked with UNICEF USA, The Animal Foundation, and is currently working as a travel guide. 

The full video of the live session is available here (Hannah Video
and is embedded at the end of this post

Hi Hannah! You have travelled so much! Could you introduce youself and share with us how you started your 'kaki berjalan' from a young age? 

My name is Hadinah Fawwazah, but I've been called Hannah since 2013 -  it's just easier to remember. I was born and raised in Sandakan, Sabah. When I was 20 years old I moved out, and ended up all over the place. I got into college in Melaka, did my masters in software development, lived in KL for a while with my aunt, then moved to Johor, where I met my ex-husband. Recently I've just returned back to Malaysia after living in United States for 4 years.


Hannah's book, I'm a Backpacker Journal: USA.

That's a lot of moving and changes! Not many people get to experience a nomadic life from a young age. I think it really adds character as you're exposed to so many things. You've been to many of places and worked plenty of jobs too. 

My first job was as assistant manager at a restaurant. It had nothing to do with my degree. I believe that as you progress and mature, you'll find yourself growing different interests. That's why I feel that you shouldn't always stick to one thing. As in, don't be bothered so much that what you studied for your degree, as something you're going to spend the rest of your life doing, or as something that's going to define you. I get asked many times "Kenapa tak kerja bidang software?" I just simply reply: look, I've been everywhere and I just simply changed my interest. Right now I really love writing and photography. And I write! I think its very important to do what you love.

I think that's a common misconception. People normally think is that once you start on one path, its the path that you have to stick to forever. I guess back in day, this guaranteed security in terms of finances and career. But I feel like at this age there are so many outlets that you can explore. If you have the opportunity to grow yourself in a 'bidang' that you're not familiar with but interested in, then why not?

I agree. Just venture. It's one of the few types of risk that you should take in order to grow.

Speaking of risks, tell us about how you started your international travelling journey? 

It happened because of my ex husband. We met while he was on a trip in Asia. I was still working at the restaurant in Johor. Back then, I put my profile up on an online dating website and we connected. I remember I was talking about my PHD at the time, and he was very interested. It was different because online it's hard to find people who are sincere in discussing about topics outside of lifestyle. So we met and hit it off. He met my parents 3 weeks after that, and invited me to travel. This was the first time I went somewhere further than neighbouring countries..

And you went just like that? Where did you go? 

Our first destination was Istanbul back in June 2013. At the time there were protests and unrests going on and the flight tickets were very cheap. We got gassed and everything, it wasn't fun, but it was quite an experience. After Turkey, we spent almost a month in Italy (best time of my life), Croatia, Slovenia, Netherlands, Germany. That took about 6 months. He proposed to me in Germany.

We went back to Asia after that and worked on getting my spouse visa so I could move with him to the US. I was in Bangkok about 5 months consecutively while this was happening, and we also travelled to France, Hungary, Czech Republic.. that whole year I probably visited 20 countries. We were waiting for my petition to become a resident of the USA to be completed. We even hired an immigration attorney to expedite the process. Because once you get your visa, you have to fly to the US and get married within 3 months. That's how I ended up living and travelling there.

Hannah and ex husband, USA. 

That truly seems like a life changing year. Your travel journeys in the USA have gained quite a lot of following on social media. Your captions are quite long and informative too..

When I started travelling in the US, I got so excited. I took plenty of photos. Especially when I was at national parks, I always read the information boards. Then I thought- it'd be interesting to write it down and share it out. Initially I started writing short captions, nothing more than five sentences, but over time, it got longer. My husband even asked 'what are you doing?' I replied, 'you'll see!' Three months into it I was sharing actively. Then I started posting longer entries on Facebook in Malay, and my stories got picked up by online publications.

Ticaboo, Utah. 

Rocks at Cape Cod, California.

Reyes Point, California.

Crater lake national park, Oregon.

Mojave, Zzyzx, California.


Lake Tahoe, Nevada. 

I'm guessing it must take a lot of time and effort to curate your captions so well. Why do you think your content has connected with so many people?

I think if you notice on social media, people usually write quotes for their captions, or quick sentences. It's not wrong. For myself, I'm really intent to share my knowledge. When I have ideas, I write them down immediately on my notes. When I'm preparing a post, I'll refer back to my notes. I really like story telling. But this wasn't an overnight gain of following. It happened over time. I was very happy when I found that people actually read my long captions and engage with it.

I admire your passion to keep sharing out your knowledge and your experiences. Any words that you live by?

If you dont like where you are, move. If you dont like what you're doing, just stop doing it. Find something else. Find a new passion. Do not restrict yourself, be it because you're scared people are going to talk about you. As long as it's good for growth, just do it. Take the risk.

Thats what I've been doing with my life and this is how I've turned out. I can say im really proud of myself because it's down to all these changes I've been willing to make. So if you dont like who you are, just move, because you are not a tree. You have roots but you're not rooted to the ground. Just move, until you find something that you like, because that's really important, to love what you do, and to be able to happy in your life.


You can keep in touch with Hannah here: 
Instagram: @hannahonearth
Facebook: @Hannah On Earth
Her book: I'm a Backpacker Journal- USA is available in book stores nationwide.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

TUMBLR

Instagram

Twitter