Canon EYA: Landscape

This is part of my written entries about the Canon EOS Youth Ambassador 2017 programme. To read more from this please click on the 'CANON EYA' tag on the left bar of this website :) To be updated on the next batch for this programme, please follow the Canon official instagram and facebook page.

As part of the course for the Canon EOS Youth Ambassador programme, we had an assignment to shoot the Putra Mosque during sunrise for the Landscape Photography workshop. This particular task enticed me for a number of reasons. One, I love landscape photography. Two, I love Putrajaya - this planned city is one of my favourites in the world. Three, it being Ramadhan, the quest to head out during sunrise was more challenging, as it coincides with sahur and subuh prayer.

I'd missed the actual class trip as I was down with fever that weekend, so our instructor Cliff told me to head out there when I can. Once I recovered, my initial plan was to spend the night at Masjid Besi then head over to Masjid Putra. Unfortunately, I was quite tired the night before, so I went to the site after sahur with my brother Adam instead. At 630am, the drive from Shah Alam was very serene and calm. There's something lovely and clandestine about driving through highways with not many cars, just as the sun is rising.

The site itself was across the lake near Putrajaya Lake Club. Personally, I've always been intrigued with the built environment. Part of the process of this type of shot is choosing the location and angles. Once you've locked your composition, it's your ability to bring out the details and colours to create the mood of the photo. I find that the slightest adjustments and subtle enhancements can sometimes take a picture to a whole other level. It takes a creativity and practice to see beyond what is in front of you and to visualise the outcome of a photo product :)

This trip is actually one of the rare times I'm on this side of Putrajaya for a shoot. Normally I'm over on the main island, mostly on the southern end near PICC. I just love the buildings within the main boulevard, with its carvings and details. This was my first time focusing on Putra Mosque. I've only been inside once. It's big enough that it can support up to 15,000 people, and is actually inspired by the Sheikh Omar Mosque in Baghdad.

On the way back, we went up the watch tower at the Lake Club to see the view. It was sweeping and beautiful - but definitely not for those with acrophobia. Whenever I can, I always indulge in the high vantage points - it's always worth it to find a different spot, to get an alternative angle, just to see a subject from a new perspective. The sun was already high in the sky while we were up there, and we stayed there for a while, while the city and the water was still and quiet, just stirring to start the day.

Here are the shots taken with my Canon 600D - with some editing using DPP, Photoshop and VSCO filters.








Helu! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

TUMBLR

Instagram

Twitter