Gram Game

Taken with Xiaomi Yi, edited on Instagram (hence the noise).

Let me get this out first: I am most definitely not a super expert photographer haha. I am still on a learning journey in this world of imaging. But what I do know is that I enjoy taking photos very much! I love capturing beautiful moments and sharing them to the world. Instagram has proven to be one of the best platforms for me, especially in connecting with others who love pictures! I've had so so so many people asking me these questions that at times I get pretty anxious. So, with my humble and little knowledge, here's what I use for my hobby :)


1. What camera do you use?


Xiaomi, my iPhone 5s, and my kit lens, amongst other things. 


A DSLR, my Canon 600D with 18-55mm kit lens.
I bought this camera four years ago before I left for UK. It was second hand from mudah.my, and I was looking for a beginner camera. This was an excellent choice as the 600D was fairly lightweight, has a video recording function, and a display screen that can rotate. This DSLR has been through so much with me (through sand and ice!) and I love its colours and its crisp quality. It's especially useful for the sharp night shots. Compared to a few other makers, I prefer the soft and muted hues on the Canon models.

Action Camera, Xioami Yi Cam.
Remember that time when everyone had a GoPro craze? It was THE THING! GoPro selfies in restaurants, shopping malls, and then, trips and underwater excursions.. I wasn't a hyper active outdoors or extreme sport enthusiast, I just never considered spending thousands on a secondary camera. What I liked most about action cameras are the wide frame fish eye pictures, its size and portability, and its ability to go underwater! I honestly don't mind the distortion so much. Back in 2014, I was going to go to Krabi and reaaally wanted an underwater camera, but a GoPro was wayyy out of my budget. After a lot of surveying, I ended up with the Xiaomi Yi. It literally costs a fraction of the price, and the pictures I've taken with it are just as good and awesome! Seriously. Beribu kot GoPro. Xiami Yi tak cecah seribu pun. I got it with the stick and an underwater casing. Brilliant.

Phone Camera, my iPhone 5s.
Back in 2014 iPhone 5s was the bomb. It pretty much still is, although I think my constant dropping it has made the camera a little bit wonky heh. But a phone camera is really just as good as any digital camera nowadays! Only low level light pictures are their weaknesses. I did my Australia trip ages ago with only my Samsung Galaxy S and the photos I posted on Instagram back then turned out pretty well :) A good phone camera goes a long way, especially if you prefer the efficiency.

Funnily enough, I actually drafted this post 2 years ago (!). As of now, I'm looking to advance my DSLR camera game. I'm also considering getting a GoPro model (one with a screen) to further expedite my photographic process. I've upgraded my phone to an iPhone 8 and the photos are dependable Apple quality :)


2. What Editing Apps do you use?




I mostly utilise 4 photo apps in my phone. It's pretty simple : VSCO, Pixlr, Afterlight and Instagram.

Usually the photos would get a filter from VSCO, and additional vibrancy enhancement from Pixlr, Afterlight if I need to add any more colours or light leaks, and then Instagram is my final go-to to increase sharpness, adjust tilting, etc. (Sometimes skip Pixlr and Afterlight too actually). By adjusting the rotations and angles, adding structure, lux, controlling the highlight and shadow of your photo - you can get such beautiful outcomes! My personal style is one that is very vibrant, sunny, saturated, and pop I guess, and this is what works for me.

I enjoy the editing process immensely. Exploring all the different colours and styles, and there's so many variations you can do with just a little amount of apps :)

For my PC, or any enhancements/adjustments on the raw files, I correct using Photoshop. I'm in the process of learning Digital Photo Professional 4 (a Canon editing software) and Lightroom.

3. Who takes your photos?

Bahaha. If I'm alone, then a self timer, my tripod, and a steady, level flat surface (or even my handbag stacked on top of my coat), usually does the trick. If not, I tend to ask random strangers, or whoever is with me at the time. The trick to asking strangers is to smile really really widely, ask politely, and make sure you've set up your frame, and tell them the only thing to do is click :) A Bluetooth shutter is fantastic as well. You can just prop your phone somewhere, run away, and click. Anything else, can adjust through editing.

I hope this answers most of the main insta photo questions! :)


My camera kesayangan. And Dhil took this one somewhere on the black beach in Iceland.




1 comments:

  1. Tq! But can u also teach us how to edit? Maybe share a couple of photos and how u edited it? Tq

    ReplyDelete

 

TUMBLR

Instagram

Twitter