Piscinas de Marés

On our studio trip from Porto to Sintra in November 2015, my tutors made us stop to check out a beach house on the Leca da Palmeira stretch, by Portugese architect Alvaro Siza. I remember getting out of the car, looking at the sea and feeling so overwhelmed by its beauty! And then I was like: wait, where's this thingymaalvarobuilding? 

From the road you can't even see anything- until you look at the ground and see some steps going underground, so you go through a corridoor under the road (don't worry, it's not that clasutrophobic and dark, it's actually got a lot of openings for the sunlight). So at one point you turn a corner and then there you are - a view of the brilliant glittering sea! And so much better because you can't hear any traffic sounds from the road and it feels so private. There's a small cafe, natural pools if you want to take a bath, and generally a super awesome place to stop by if you're in the area!





We had so much fun that afternoon. Shimmering sunshine, salty air, endless sky, crashing waves and clambering up rocks to explore architecture. You know the kind of moments where you take a mental picture and put your own soundtrack to? I had James Bay's Hold Back The River in my head the whole time :D





That amazing empty blue sky. 

The restaurant by the beach had the most incredible views out to the sea. This lady sat here for a good 20 minutes just enjoying the sun.

One of my favourite meals from the trip - it was sea food pizza and was served on a baking plate. The hammer I'm holding is a slicer which you use to cut the pieces. It was the first time I'd ever seen it and needed some time getting used to haha


Me: I am THOR!
Dil: Lol what an idiot can't even cut pizza properly. 

But really you're supposed to just push it backwards and forwards.. haha. 

Location link for Piscinas de Mares here link :D

1 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. Porto best travel guide

    ReplyDelete

 

TUMBLR

Instagram

Twitter