Taksim

One morning in Istanbul I found myself with no plans standing in Taksim Square . So I thought - hey, maybe I should just walk around this area. I had already been to the more famous side of the city with the Hagia Sofia and Blue Mosque, and I raaarely see people post photos about Taksim. 

It was nearly afternoon and the sky was grey and I thought to myself, "okay, this is a little boring. Maybe I should just get a bus to the Grand Bazaar." But then I turned a corner and saw a beautiful view of taksim, on a street lined with many peculiar stores. I even saw a lady pick up her delivery basket using a string from the fourth floor of a building! Hehe so I thought, "okay, maybe this will be interesting." 

I ended up walking around the whole day and got to see a lot more local sights. Here's a side to Istanbul that rarely gets it share of attention - the cute little cat shelters by the side of the road, tea shops on a cliff by the sea, small houses with lace curtains. I even saw men in traditional costumes, going to a ceremony. It was interesting to see the mix of old and new, European and Asian influences that was prevalent in all street corners - a perfect subject if you're in the mood for people watching and observing.

In the smaller alleys near Galata Tower, you'll find a road full on antique shops and memorabilia near Turnacibasi. There's so many cool old artifacts, and old men drinking tea (tea is a huge thing in Istanbul) and some funky hipster boutiques - all a feast for the eyes. The general area is called Beyoglu and it has 45 districts with around 225,500 residents: an intermingling cultural hub of muslims, jewish, christians from all over the world. 

If you have one afternoon and want an 'alternative' adventure, have a walk around Taksim! 

Rumah sape la jadi backdrop ni hahaha.




He didn't move much while I walked around his shop taking photos... He had a huge babyblue turntable, and a massive collection of playing cards.


One of the most random parts of the day was meeting this guy here named Andrian Chu. He's from Hong Kong and it was his last day in the city on a family holiday. We met when I asked him to take a photo of me (kasi chance la for me k cannot carry tripod around all the time so heavy) and since his parents had free time, they let him wander off with me (so kind of his parents! I could have been a dangerous thug and kidnapped his son! Didn't they see how gangsta I was lel) We figured out that he was one year younger than me so he kept calling me Aunty the whole time =__='. Aaanyway this is us in front of the Hagia Triada Greek Orthodox Church near Taksim Square. 


Back to the local neighbourhoods :D cramped, terrace houses with lace curtains, and clothes hanging to dry in between alleys...


Around some markets. 

The more shiny shops nearer to Istiklal Street. 



Me looking inquisitive in an antique shop. 

There are so, so many beautiful interior stores here :D rambang mata.


Seeee so hipster and cool.

Taksim.

Safety tip! I need to say that in hindsight, it was lucky that no bad incident happened to me during my wandering. There were some very awkward and quiet alleys where it would have been fairly dangerous. I wouldn't recommend to walk around alone, especially if you're carrying a camera (I'm so so thankful in hindsight). I tried my best to stay where there were lots of people. 

1 comments:

 

TUMBLR

Instagram

Twitter